SEND COVER LETTER, CV AND SAMPLE WRITING TO:
Subject line: Director, Economic Policy Project
To the attention : SVP, Policy Advocacy
No phone calls please!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, identity or nationality. gender expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in college, university, technical school, or adult education.
POSITION: Director, Economic Policy Project OPEN: Immediately
LOCATION: Washington D.C. CLOSE: Until it’s filled
CONTACT: Senior Vice President SALARY: Commensurate with experience in policy and advocacy
UnidosUnited States, formerly known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert research, advocacy, programs, and an affiliate network of nearly 300 community organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges social, economic, and political barriers. that affect Latinos nationally and locally. levels. For over 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking common ground through collaboration, and who share a desire to make our community stronger. For more information about UnidosUS, visit www.unidosus.org or follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
SUMMARY The Economic Policy Project Director is responsible for developing policy priorities that align with our organizational strategic goals, executing policy and advocacy strategy, communicating policy positions, and leading direct engagement with stakeholders. policy makers and federal administrators. They will be members of the Policy and Advocacy component leadership team, overseeing a small but growing team of economic policy staff and consultants, working in coordination with other issue teams and collaborating with colleagues across the of the organization to leverage all the assets of UnidosUs to advance the economy. priorities.
UnidosUS offers a collaborative team environment that fosters a culture of ideas and debate. We approach our work from multiple perspectives and methods, understanding both specific issues and their broader interrelated systems. This position will be part of the leadership team and will report directly to the Senior Vice President of Policy and Advocacy.
The Director will be based in our Washington, DC office.
RESPONSIBILITIES Management and Strategy
• Understand the overall strategic direction of UnidosUs; build and align an economic portfolio with the policy and advocacy management team in this context.
• Identify and measure objectives and define tactics for the economic policy project.
• Build substantial depth of UnidosUs in a range of economic policy issues, analyzing new and emerging economic policy issues affecting the Latin American community and developing policy analysis, recommendations and solutions.
• Supervise and support up to five (5) staff members dedicated to policy analysis, research, lobbying and advocacy on multiple economic issues.
• Collaborate strategically with staff across the organization to advance goals (eg, program colleagues in housing and financial empowerment; state political staff; affiliate engagement team; marketing and communications).
• Coordinate, develop and participate in public policy forums, summits, briefings and other events where relevant economic policy issues are discussed.
• Serve as a spokesperson on Latin American economic policy priorities, representing UnidosUS priorities at internal and external meetings, and before Congress staff, policymakers/experts, and stakeholders.
• Work with the media through our Marketing and Communications team as appropriate.
• Participate in external economic policy advisory groups, councils or committees, as appropriate.
• Manage the production of high quality, timely and relevant policy documents/materials in support of UnidosUS objectives.
• Conduct and publish independent policy analysis on relevant economic policy issues.
• Provide support and advice on economic policy documents, including briefing notes, policy memoranda, regulatory commentaries, public testimony, talking points for the President and CEO of UnidosUS and newspaper articles prepared by the economic policy team.
Fundraising and budgeting
• Manage a budget of $600,000 to $1 million for activities related to economic security and employment policy.
• Lead and support fundraising efforts to maintain and develop economic policy activities and manage relationships with major donors.
• Responsible for all management of internal and external relations related to economic policy activities with foundations and the media
• Master’s degree required.
• Twelve (12) to sixteen to (16) years of relevant experience in a political/legislative environment.
• A minimum of five (5) years of management experience required.
• Relevant experience in policy analysis and the development of economic policy solutions.
• Experience managing a large budget preferred.
• Experience and understanding of economic issues facing Latin American and immigrant communities.
• Previous experience communicating policy ideas in public settings such as congressional hearings, major conferences, or written materials such as reports or briefing notes.
• Previous experience in supervising and growing a team, fundraising and managing relationships with funders.
• Constant commitment to the mission, vision and values of UnidosUS (excellence, respect, responsibility).
• Familiarity and engagement with the Latin American community, Latin American non-profit organizations and the Latin American market, an asset.
• Excellent communication skills, written, oral, editorial and analytical required.
• Ability to work in a team, to collaborate within the organization and to take initiative, as well as to work effectively under tight deadlines and to coordinate several projects.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Teams), statistical software, data sources and Internet queries required.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards.
• Great attention to detail.
• Bilingual skills (Spanish/English) an asset.
Employment at UnidosUS Depends on Success
of a wallpaper.
Please note: Only candidates who submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample will be considered for this opportunity.